You may aspire to be a content writer and nowadays there are many avenues to begin. Leading them all is the online content writing market, as of now the digital internet space contains more content than all the printed material. So starting out as an online content writer is one of the best ways to get started.
Now, most of us believe that we have the ability to be a content writer but to do it professionally we need to learn a few things before we start. Let us look over this checklist which will set us up for our content writing career.
- Have a precise resume showing your educational background and experience. You must list out all your writing skills and fields you have the expertise of so that you can write about them. Many online portals for content writers have their accreditation tests which give you an edge and improve your chances to get projects. Try and give as many tests as you can to showcase your skills.
- Build your sample library. Just like any other job application it is important to include good samples along with your profile. Make them crisp and cover as many fields as you can. The more versatility and experience you show the better the chances of getting hired.
- Keep grammar and Plagiarism check tools. It is a good idea to have them installed before you begin your work. You must ensure meets the best quality and it is free of plagiarism, this is part of the general guidelines for every content writer. Tools like Grammarly, Paper Rater and Small SEO tools help you perform these checks.
- Study the best websites for content writing Before you start giving out applications you must look for the best content writing websites. Some of them are Upwork, Freelancer, Truelancer, and ContentMart. Offline avenues are also important to look for advertisements in your local dailies which list content writing jobs. This is a good way of getting long term jobs with fair remuneration.
- Learn how to make the right proposals. Most online websites allow you to give proposals for projects. Learn how to make professional proposals which are short but highlight the point which will interest potential customers.
- Beware of false clients. While doing online work there is always a risk of encountering false clients, some websites give some safety procedures to follow but most are not that secure. So make clear all the points before beginning a project.
These were some basic steps to get you started as a content writer. It is a wonderful job if you enjoy writing and have a flair for it.Read More →